Solereview is hiring!
Job title: Product journalist – Men’s footwear.
Location: Downtown Toronto, Canada.
Remote: No. Physical presence is required.
Fitness requirements: Yes.
Educational requirements: Journalism degree or equivalent.
Annual compensation: $60,000 + benefits.
Imagine this. You’re out running on a beautiful Monday morning. The location is the Waterfront, High Park, Don Valley trail, Crother woods, or any picturesque location in Toronto.
You bump into a friend on the trail. Your friend is somewhat surprised to see you. ‘Wait. Aren’t you supposed to be working on a Monday?’
‘Oh, I am working’, you say. ‘I’m out testing running shoes. That’s my new job.’
No, we’re not trying to be funny. We’re advertising a full-time position for a shoe reviewer. We buy shoes. You wear-test them and write a detailed review. You get paid for it. You know, like a full-time salary with benefits.
For over 14 years, Solereview.com has been the world’s most trusted source for footwear product reviews, buyer’s guides, and sportswear industry-related content.
One of the many things that make Solereview unique is its editorial integrity. We buy our products at full price, and never publish sponsored content. This keeps the content free of any outside influence.
Our content is informed by a rigorous wear-testing process, in-house photography and graphic assets, and deep expertise that draws from decades of industry experience.
While deeply informative, our reviews are fun to read. We use story-telling and a playful tone of voice to make reading our in-depth content an engaging experience.
Our goal is to become the world’s leading product-journalism resource for all footwear categories. We invite passionate individuals to be a part of our next growth phase.
What we’re looking for:
You’re an experienced writer who loves shoes. You have a basic understanding of footwear products, preferably athletic shoes. You’re familiar with terms like midsole, outsole, Polyurethane, and lasting. The job requires regular running, walking, and weight-training to test shoes.
As a part of Solereview’s editorial team, you’ll be responsible for the creation of in-depth reviews of men’s footwear, recommendation guides, and detailed features on the footwear industry. You’ll begin with reviewing men’s running shoes, and gradually take on additional roles and responsibilities.
You’re highly self-driven, motivated, and is equally comfortable operating independently or working as a part of a team.
Prior work experience in the footwear or fashion industry will be a huge asset.
This is a full-time position that requires working out of Solereview’s offices located in downtown Toronto.
This is not a remote opportunity due to the on-site training requirement and the need to work with physical footwear products. A hybrid arrangement may be considered for candidates with an exceptionally high level of footwear product knowledge and relevant writing experience.
Your application should mention the job code MSPJ-01. Please include a cover letter and a one-page resume. Please apply to [email protected]
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
* University degree or equivalent; preferably in journalism, writing, communications, English literature, or similar field.
* Minimum 3 years recent experience in a digital or print publishing environment.
* Can run a 5K in under 25 minutes, and 10K a few times a month. Timed Marathon experience is an asset.
* Have a Strava profile (or similar) to verify running speed and distance requirements.
* Know the fundamentals of product photography, Adobe Photoshop CS and Elements, MS Powerpoint, and Excel.
* Ability to write, edit and proofread 1,500 – 2,000 words every working day.
* Basic understanding of Search Engine Optimization
* Maintain a consistent tone of voice across the website and social media channels.
* You are quick to learn new concepts, and have strong attention to detail.
* Familiarity with the Wordpress content management system is an asset.
Solereview Inc offers competitive, above-market compensation and benefits:
Annual compensation: $60,000 + cash benefits.
You get to keep all the products that you review. A one-year retention rule applies.